Basil Pesto is a quick and easy recipe to make. The pesto consist of basil, garlic, pine nuts, oil and Parmesan cheese. Give this recipe a try and you won’t regret it!
Ingredients for basil pesto
Basil: Fresh green basil.
Garlic: Whole garlic cloves.
Nuts: Pine nuts or a nut of your choice.
Cheese: Shredded Parmesan.
Oil: Olive oil.
Salt/ black pepper
How to make basil pesto
Blanching: Blanch your basil, you can skip this step but it really helps keep the pesto green at all times!
Blending: Add everything into the blender except the oil and parmesan cheese. Blend until it turns into a paste, but not too long where it becomes smooth. Slowly start pouring in the oil. Fold in parmesan and store in the fridge in an airtight container.
What kind of nut is originally used in pesto?
The original nut that is used for pesto is pine nuts.
Can I add different nuts to the pesto?
Of course you can. If you are allergic you can substitute a nut that you aren’t allergic to.
Should I toast up the nuts etc?
Toasting the nuts will give a depth of flavor but if you chose not to toast, it will be fine either or.
What kind of oil do I use for my pesto?
Why does my pesto look like it’s getting brown when it’s in the fridge or even in a bowl?
When you see that it’s getting brown all you have to did is mix it and it will turn back to being green. The reason pesto turns brown is because it was exposed to air, so make sure you put in a tight container.
What can I do so my pesto doesn’t turn brown?
To prevent it from turning brown you will have to blanch the basil leaves. It will keep the pesto green at all times.
What’s the process of blanching?
It’s basically when you add your basil into boiling water with salt and then shocking it into ice cold water to prevent it from cooking. After you take it out of the ice cold water you will need to dry the basil with a paper towel.
How much salt do I add to the water?
Enough for it to be as salty as the sea so about one tablespoon depending on how much water you add.
Why do I add the salt?
Adding the salt shocks the basil to keep its color.
How long do I blanch the basil for?
You will place the basil into the boiling water and take it out right away and shock it in the ice water bath and then place on a paper towel to dry.
How long can my pesto stand in the fridge?
Homemade pesto can last up to 3 days refrigerated.
Can I freeze it?
Yes you can, it will last frozen for up to 3 months.
Can I use a blender instead of food processor?
Yes you can.
- Cusinart food processor or a molcajete
- 3 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp pine nuts or 3 walnuts
- 4 garlic cloves medium size
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add about a tablespoon of salt. Prepare a bowl with ice cubes and cold water in it. Then take a sheet pan out and place some paper towels on it.
- Add your basil into the boiling water, take out right away and place into the icebath. From the icebath, put it onto your sheet pan to dry
- Add your basil, nuts, garlic, salt and pepper into your food processor.
- Blend until it turns into a paste, but not too long where it becomes smooth.
- Add in your oil while the food processor is still on.
- Place your pesto into a bowl and fold in your parmesan cheese.
- Place in refrigerator in a tight container, until ready to use.