This sandwich has the perfect trio; crunchy, cheesy and delicious. It consists of pesto, tomatoes, chicken and cheese. This sandwich is definently a must try!
Ingredients for Sandwich
Bread: Only use a thick sliced bread, or else the oil from the pesto will soak throw your bread, causing your sandwich to become soggy.
Pesto: Try out my homemade pesto: https://just-craving.com/basil-pesto/
Chicken: You can use any cooked chicken.
Tomatoes: Roma tomatoes are used in this recipe, but you can use any tomato of your choice.
Cheese: Mozzarella ball cheese is used in this recipe, but you can use regular mozzarella.
How to make the sandwich
Assembling the sandwich: Prep all of your ingredients before assembling the sandwich. To assemble start by spreading pesto on the 2 slices of bread. Then place your chicken on one if the slices of bread and then your tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. On the other slice of bread add your mozzarella. and fold your sandwich.
Grilling the Sandwich: Preheat your grill and add your sandwich. Cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
Why to only use a thick sliced bread for this recipe?
If you use a thin sliced bread then your oil from your pesto will soak through, causing your sandwich to become soggy.
What Kind of bread can I use?
Only thick sliced bread.
- Thick white sliced bread
- Focaccia bread
- Ciabatta bread
- Sourdough bread
How to shred chicken tenders?
To shred a chicken tender you will need two forks. One to hold the chicken and the other fork to tear apart the chicken.
Any sauce for this sandwich?
I love using a balsamic glaze for this sandwich.
Find the recipe here for a Balsamic Glaze :⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️
Chicken Pesto Sandwich
- 2 slices of thick white bread per recipe
- 2 tbsp of pesto per bread slice
- cooked shredded chicken
- 4-6 thinly sliced tomatoes per sandwich
- 4 thinly sliced mozzarella cheese per sandwich
- 6 chicken tender
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder
- 1/4 tsp of thyme
- 1/4 tsp of oregano
- 1/4 tsp of basil
- 1/4 tsp of parsley
- 1/4 tsp of marjarom
- 2-3 Lemon slices optional
- Preheat your panini grill and prep all of your ingredients.
- Spread your pesto onto both of your breads. Then start building your sandwich.
- Add your chicken, tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. On the other slice of bread add your mozzarella. Combine both breads together. Butter your grill and add your sandwich. Cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Take out the tendon in the chicken tenders.
- Season your chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add in all your ingredients (listed above) except your lemons into a large ziplock bag.
- Make sure it’s well mixed and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 to 24hrs.
- When ready to grill, take your chicken tenders out and let them sit in room temperature for at least 10 mins.
- Heat up your grill to 400F. If you are using a panini grill click on chicken option and skip to step 8.
- If you are grilling on an outdoor grill, you will need to rub your grill with some oil to prevent the chicken from sticking. Again, if you are using an panini grill then you won’t need to go through that step
- Place your lemons on the grill. Once they are ready you will squeeze them onto the Chicken.
- Chicken tenders cook really quick. I would use a thermometer to check the temperature for readiness. When chicken is cooked, it reaches a temperature of 165F.