Buckwheat or aka “kasha” in Ukrainian is made for breakfast or even during the day. It’s a gluten free grain that has a good source of fiber and many more nutrients! You can serve it on the side with an egg, sauté some onions, carrots and mushrooms or keep it simple!
Ingredients for buckwheat:
Buckwheat: Toasted buckwheat. I get mine from a European store.
Salt: Kosher salt
Butter: Unsalted butter
How to make buckwheat:
Removing seeds: Sort through your buckwheat removing any seeds or different grains that may have been combined on accident.
Adding boiling water: Boil some water and add it to your buckwheat. Mix with a spoon for up to a minute. This process helps to remove all the dirt from the buckwheat and clean it well.
Rinsing through: Add your buckwheat into a strainer and rinse with cold water.
Cooking buckwheat: Add your buckwheat into a heavy bottom saucepan or a pot. Add room temperature or cold water and salt. Bring to a light boil. Once at a boil bring it down to a simmer and cover with a lid. Allow to cook for about 10 minutes or until there is no more water in the saucepan.
Allowing to steam: Turn off the heat and set aside to steam for up to 5 minutes. Add in butter or oil and mix.
How to cook buckwheat
- 1 cup of toasted buckwheat
- 1 1/4 cup of water
- 1+ 1/4 tsp of kosher salt
- 1 tbsp of unsalted butter
- Sort through your buckwheat making sure there are no other seeds or grains. Pour hot boiling water into your buckwheat and mix with a spoon up to a minute. Remove the water through a strainer and rinse your buckwheat with cold water. Add your buckwheat into a heavy bottom saucepan or pot and fill with 1 1/4 cup of cold or room temperature water.
- Add your salt and bring your water to a light boil. Once at a boil bring it down to a simmer and cover with a lid. Allow to cook for about 10 minutes or until there is no more water in the saucepan. Turn off the heat and set aside to steam for up to 5 minutes. Add in butter or oil and mix.