Have you ever tried Rigatoni Fiorentina? Well this Italian dish is one of the best comfort foods. Coated in a delicious creamy tomato sauce, juicy chicken and ooey gooey mozzarella cheese inside! This recipe is definitely a keeper!😋
Ingredients for Rigatoni Fiorentina
Pasta: Rigatoni pasta
Chicken: Chicken breast or chicken tenders.
Sauce: Tomato puree with no sodium, heavy cream, garlic, finely chopped parsley and chopped spinach.
Cheese: Mozzarella ball and Parmesan cheese. But you can use shredded mozzarella cheese.
Seasoning: Season with salt, white pepper and fresh basil.
How to make Rigatoni Fiorentina
Cooking Pasta: Cook pasta in boiling salted water, unitl al dente.
Prepping/Cooking Chicken: Cut your chicken into cubes. Season with salt and black pepper and Italian seasoning that haves no salt in it.
Making sauce: Add butter and oil into a big pan on a low to medium heat. Add your garlic and parsley cook until fragrant. Add your chopped spinach and sauté until tender. Add your heavy cream and cook down by 1/4. Add your tomato puree with no salt in it and bring to a light simmer, while constantly mixing. Finish sauce with salt and white pepper.
Combining everything together: To your sauce, add your pasta and mix until coated. Then add your cooked chicken, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil and parmesan. Mix and cover with a lid to allow the cheese to melt faster. My recommendation would be, to shred or pull apart the mozzarella ball cheese as thin as possible with your hands or cut into really small cubes, that will melt faster.
- 16 oz or 1lb of Rigatoni Pasta
- 12 oz of a mozzarella cheese ball, shred or cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup of parmesean cheese
- 1 tbsp of fresh basil
Seasoning for chicken
- 2 chicken breast
- 2 tsp of Italian seasoning, with no salt
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp of chopped parsley
- 3 cups of chopped spinach
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 4 cups of tomato puree
- 1/4 tbsp of white pepper
- salt to taste
- In boiling salted water, add your rigatoni. Cook pasta until al dente.
- Cut your chicken breast into small cubes. Season with salt and pepper and with Italian seasoning.
- On a low to medium heat add about 1/2-1 tbsp of butter into a nonstick pan. Cook your chicken in batches. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until they reach 165F. Set aside your chicken and cover with foil for later use.
Making the sauce
- In a large pan on a low to medium heat, add your oil and butter. Allow the butter to melt and add your garlic and parsley. Cook for 1-2 minutes or unitl fragrant.
- Add spinach, sauté until tender. Pour in your heavy cream and cook it down by 1/4. Add in your tomato puree and bring the sauce to a light simmer while constantly mixing. Finish the sauce with salt and white pepper.
- Add your cooked pasta. Mix until the pasta is coated. Then to your pasta add cooked chicken, mozzarella cheese, basil and parmesean cheese. Mix everything together. Cover with a lid to allow the steam to melt the cheese faster. *I would recommend cutting or shredding the cheese into thin slices or cubes. The bigger and thick the cheese is, the more time it will take to melt.