Who doesn’t love a delicious, mouthwatering, irresistible sandwich? Well let me introduce you to a shrimp po boy sandwich. Its a bread roll toasted, filled with pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, crispy shrimp and finished off with a delicious remoulade sauce! Enjoy this sandwich for lunch or dinner. You sure don’t want to miss out on this recipe!😋
Ingredients for Shrimp po boy
Shrimp: 41-50 medium raw shrimp
Flour seasoning: All-purpose flour, corn meal and old bay seasoning.
Bread: I used Steak, Brat, & Sausage Rolls, from the company called Orlando.
Mayonnaise: Any mayo will work.
Tomato: Roma tomatoes, but you can use any kind.
Pickles: Large pickles, sliced in thin slices.
Lettuce: Iceberg lettuce, thinly chopped.
Remoulade Sauce: I used this brand called St. Elmo Remoulade.
How to make shrimp po boy
Prepping shrimp: Peel and devein your raw shrimp. Marinate your shrimp with seasoning and buttermilk for 1-3 hours. Add your shrimp into the flour mixture, egg mixture and back into the flour mixture. Place into the freezer before frying.
Frying shrimp: Preheat oil to 350F and fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Fry shrimp in batches.
Putting the sandwich together: Toast your bread, spread with mayonnaise, add pickles, tomatoes and lettuce. Top with shrimp and drizzle with some remoulade sauce.
What oil I used to fry the shrimp?
How much sandwiches does this recipe make?
Shrimp Po boy
- 40 raw 41-50 medium shrimp
- 1 tbsp of old bay seasoning
- 1/3 cup of buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- kosher salt
- oil to fry
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp of corn meal
- 3 tsp of old bay seasoning
- bread roll
- 5 Roma tomatoe slices per each sandwich
- 7 Pickle slices per each sandwich
- bunch of lettuce per each sandwich
- 8 fried shrimp per sandwich
- remoulade sauce
Making the shrimp
- Prep your raw shrimp by peeling and deveining them. Place your shrimp into a bowl and add your 1 tbsp of old bay seasoning. Mix shrimp to evenly coat them, then pour in your buttermilk. Cover with plastic and place into the fridge for a minimum 1-3 hours.
- Set up your breading station. For the first bowl add your flour, corn flour, and seasoning. In the second bowl add your eggs and mix with a whisk. Add 1 tbsp of the flour mixture into the egg mixture, mix and set aside.
- Take out your shrimp and dredge it into the flour, then egg and back into the flour. Shake off excess of flour and place onto a sheet pan. Repeat until each shrimp is coated.
- Into a deep heavy bottom pot or saucepan add 2/3 of oil. Preheat oil to 350F.
- While preheating your oil, place your shrimp into the freezer. Once your oil is ready take them out and fry them in batches (5). Fry shrimp from 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Place them onto a rack with a sheet pan underneath and sprinkle with some kosher salt.
Putting Sandwich together
- Butter your pan and place your sandwich bread. Allow to toast and remove it from the pan once toasted. Spread each side with mayonnaise and start by placing your pickles on one side and tomatoes on the other. Add your lettuce in the middle and place your shrimp on top. Drizzle with some remoulade sauce and serve with french fries on the side. Enjoy!