Do you have a sweet tooth and love to top off your dessert or breakfast? Caramel sauce is perfect for serving with apples, french toast and many more. You can bring your caramel to another level by flavoring it with vanilla or salt! The best part is, you won’t need any fancy ingredients to make this recipe, they can all be found in your pantry!
Ingredients for Caramel Sauce
Sugar: Granulated sugar.
Water: Regular water.
Lemon: Lemon juice, optional.
Butter: Softened, unsalted butter.
Heavy cream: Hot cream.
Flavoring: Flavor with vanilla or kosher salt. (optional)
How to make Caramel Sauce
Making the syrup: In a heavy bottom saucepan add sugar, water and lemon juice. Do not mix and allow the sugar to melt on a medium heat. The syrup will start bubbling and slowly start turning a golden brown color. Once it’s that color remove from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
Adding butter/cream: While adding in butter mix with a whisk. Add butter in portions. Pour in your hot heavy cream and mix. After this step you can add vanilla or kosher salt if you’d like. Pour in a jar and allow too cool before using or storing. Cover with a lid and store in the fridge for up to a month. Caramel will thicken in the fridge, but you can heat it up in the microwave for a couple seconds and it will return into the right consistency.
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 tsp of lemon juice
- 3 tbsp of unsalted softened butter
- 1/2 cup of hot heavy cream
- Flavor with kosher salt or vanilla (1/4tsp)
- In a heavy bottom saucepan add sugar, water and lemon juice. Do not mix the mixture. Place your saucepan onto the stovetop on medium heat. Your mixture will start bubbling, but do not attempt to mix it. Once it turns a light to medium brown golden color, take off heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. In a saucepan heat up your cream, until it becomes hot.
- While whisking with a whisk add in your softened butter in portions. Add in your hot heavy cream and mix until well combined. Pour into a glass jar and allow to cool before storing or using. Store in the fridge for up to a month!