With the strawberry season here, Strawberry Crisp is the perfect summer dessert! Filled with a strawberry sauce, topped with a streusel and finished of with vanilla ice cream! Mmmmm, just perfection!👌
Ingredients for strawberry filling:
Strawberries: Fresh ripe strawberries.
Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Sugar: Granulated sugar.
Slurry: Cornstarch and water.
Ingredients for topping:
Oats: Rolled oats.
Flour: All-purpose flour.
Sugar: Brown sugar
Salt: Kosher salt or sea salt.
Butter: Softened butter.
How to make strawberry filling:
Slicing strawberries: Slice your strawberries in half.
Making the sauce: In a heavy bottom pan, add your butter on a medium heat and allow it to melt. Once melted add your sugar, lemon juice and mix. Make your slurry (cornstarch and water) and pour it into your butter mixture while constantly stirring; use a hand whisk or a spatula to prevent lumps.
Cooking the filling: Add in your strawberries and cook until the sauce thickens. You can use a spoon to check if it’s at the right consistency.
Cooling the filling: Cool the filling before baking.
How to make the topping:
Adding dry ingredients in bowl: Sift all of your dry ingredients into a bowl and mix until well combined.
Adding in butter: Incorporate your softened butter into your dry ingredients until it becomes a streusel.
Forming and baking strawberry crisp:
Butter your cast iron pan and pour in your chilled strawberry filling. Top the streusel evenly. Bake your strawberry crisp at 375F for about 20 minutes or until the crisp has a golden color and crisped!
- 1 lb of ripe strawberries
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2.5 tbsp of granulated sugar
- 1.5 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 1/2 tbsp of corn starch
- 1-2 tsp of water for corn starch
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 8 tbsp of softened unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp of kosher or sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Butter your cast iron pan. Pour in your cooled strawberry filling.
- Top the streusel evenly.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the crisp is golden.
Making Strawberry filling
- Wash and dry your strawberries. Slice all of your strawberries in half.
- In a heavy bottom pan add your butter on a medium heat and allow to melt.
- Once melted add your sugar, lemon juice and mix.
- Make your slurry (cornstarch and water) and pour it into your butter mixture while constantly stirring; use a hand whisk or a spatula to prevent lumps.
- Add in your strawberries and mix well.
- Cook your filling until it thickens. To check if the filling is ready, dip a spoon then swipe it with your finger. If there's a clear line after you swipe, your filling is ready. Cool it down before using.
Making the topping
- Into a bowl, sift through all of your dry ingredients and mix with a hand whisk.
- To your dry ingredients incorporate your softened butter until it looks like a streusel.