Leftover pesto? Make this easy tomato pesto grilled cheese! You can literally eat it at any time of the day!
Ingredients to make tomato pesto grilled cheese:
Bread: Only use a thick sliced bread or else the oil from the pesto will soak through your bread causing your sandwich to become soggy.
Pesto: Basil Pesto. Try out my homemade pesto: https://justcravingcom.wpcomstaging.com/basil-pesto/
Tomatoes: Roma tomatoes are used in this recipe, but you can use any tomato of your choice.
Cheese: Mozzarella ball cheese is used in this recipe, but you can use regular mozzarella.
Mayonnaise: Any mayonnaise will work, if you are not a fan of mayonnaise then you can use softened butter.
How to make tomato pesto grilled cheese:
Assembling the sandwich: Prep all of your ingredients before assembling the sandwich. To assemble start by spreading pesto on the 2 slices of bread. Then shred your mozzarella with your fingers and place onto one side of the bread slices. Top with tomatoes, season with salt and black pepper and fold your sandwich together.
Spreading mayonnaise/ toasting the sandwich: Spread the top slice with mayonnaise and then flip it into a pan on a low to medium heat. Then spread the other slice with mayonnaise and cover with a lid. Once golden, flip and cover with a lid again allowing the cheese to melt.
Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices of thick white bread per recipe
- 2 tbsp of pesto per bread slice
- 4-6 thinly sliced tomatoes per sandwich
- 4 slices of mozzarella from a mozzarella ball, shredded
- Prep all of your ingredients.
- Spread pesto onto both of your bread slices.
- Add your shredded mozzarella then tomatoes (season with salt and pepper).
- Combine both breads together.
- Spread the top slice with mayonnaise and place onto a pan on a low to medium heat. Then spread the other slice with mayonnaise and cover with a lid.
- Once golden, flip and cover with a lid again allowing the cheese to melt.
- Slice in half and Enjoy!