Have leftover Zucchini? Try this unbelievable easy recipe that's low in calories and a perfect way to sneak some veggies in!
- Cheese cloth
- Icecream scoop
- 2 small Zucchini
- 3 small potatoes
- lemon juice squeeze or 1 tbsp
- 1/4 onion, zested, I used a zester grater
- 2 garlic zested, I used a zester grater
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp of black pepper
- Sour cream
- Chopped scallions
- Grate your zucchini into a bowl. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and let it sit for around 10 minutes (so it can let out all of its juices).
- Grate your potatoes on the medium setting of the grater and squeeze about 1 tsp of lemon juice. Adding fresh lemon juice will prevent your potatoes from turning brown or pink.
- Spread out your cheesecloth and lightly squeeze out the juices from the zucchini and potatoes. Then place it on your cheese cloth.
- Squeeze the cheese cloth, allowing most of the juices from the vegetables to come out.
- Add your zucchini and potatoes into a bowl and also add your zested onion and garlic.
- To that mixture add flour, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Place a pan on low to medium heat and add oil.
- Using an ice cream scoop, add your fritter mixture one by one into the pan.
- I used a lid to help cook the fritters through but if you are making smaller fritters you won’t need a lid.
- Once you notice a golden brown color on the edges, flip your fritters with the help of a fish spatula.
- Cook them without a lid so they can get a golden brown color on them.
- Place your fritters on a paper towel to get access oil off.
- Serve hot with sour cream and scallions.
Why do I had half of the salt to the shredded zucchini? Adding salt will help take out all of the juice from the zucchini. Why do I add lemon juice to the shredded potatoes? Adding lemon juice will help prevent them from turning brown or pink and also it will give more flavor. Do I need to use a cheese cloth when squeezing out the juices? When using a cheese cloth it helps a lot when taking excess off juices out of the zucchini and potatoes. But if you don’t have one you can just squeeze the excess juices with your hand as much as possible or place onto a strainer and let the juice drain out. What ice-cream scoop did I use? Size: #50 Why should you cook at a low to medium heat? Cooking at a low to medium heat will help prevent them from burning quickly and not be cooked all the way. Whats a good tool the helps flip the zucchini fritters? A fish spatula is the best when it comes to flipping. Why do I use a lid when the fritters are cooking? The reason why I use a lid is because my fritters are more larger in size and you want to make sure they cook on the inside and when there’s a lid on it will retain heat and cook more faster. If I make smaller fritters, do I need to use a lid? There won’t be a need for a lid if you make smaller fritters. They won’t cook long as a medium to big fritter would. How much oil do I add when cooking the fritters? 1 to 2 tbsp. Why do I place the fritters on the paper towel before serving? Placing fritters on the paper towel helps get excess oil off of your fritters. Why would you clean your pan after each batch? Cleaning your pan after each batch will prevent excess crumbs that are left in the pan to stick to the new fritters.